Thursday, July 5, 2012

Going Gooney Over Gooney Bird Greene

About a month ago, while waiting for my 9 year old at the local library, I decided to check out Gooney Bird Greene by Lois Lowry. The story is set in a second grade classroom so I assumed it would not be something I could use in 4th grade, but felt it might be a good read for some of my lower level students. BOY WAS I WRONG! I am now planning on using this book as a read aloud to launch Writer's Workshop this fall.

Gooney Bird tells her class five stories. Each story has wonderful examples of characters, plot, suspense, and complex vocabulary. Each story has the potential to launch several mini lessons. After the last story the class is all excited for another, BUT Gooney Bird informs them that she is through telling stories and that it is their turn to share their stories.

I purchased the book for my E-Reader. I hope that I can read parts of the book as a read aloud and project parts onto my Promethean board so they can read with me. I have never used an E-Reader in this way so I'll let you know you it turns out.

1 comment:

  1. I actually have this book, but have never read it! Now, I'm going to give it a read. Thanks for the recommendation and thanks for joining my first blog hop!

    Grade Three is the Place for Me

    ReplyDelete